Hunstanton does not always live up to its local nickname - "Sunny Hunny". So on days when it is too cold or rainy to laze on one of the wide sandy beaches, here are ten interesting places to visit, and they are all an easy stroll from the town centre.
1. Hunstanton Lighthouse
The present lighthouse was built in 1840 and ceased operations in 1922, since when it has been a private residence. A lighthouse has been on the site since 1665, and the world's first parabolic reflector was built there in 1776. Location: On the cliffs at St Edmund's Point.
Built in 1907, the Sheraton started life as a trawler but was later moored on the Lincolnshire side of the Wash to be used as a target ship. In 1947 she broke free from her mooring in a gale and drifted on to the beach at Hunstanton. The ship was sold to scrap dealers and now only a section of the hull remains. Location: Beneath the cliffs at St Edmund's Point.
3. Coastguard Lookout Tower
Built in 1907, the tower was a Marconi listening post in both World Wars, and is now a private residence. Location: On the cliffs at St Edmund's Point.
4. Golden Lion Hotel
Opened in 1846 and originally named The New Inn, this was the town's first building. Location: The Green, Hunstanton.
5. Cross on the Green
Origins unknown, but thought to have been brought from the green in the nearby village of Old Hunstanton at the time when the Golden Lion Hotel was built. It may once have been the old village cross from Snettisham. Location: The Green, Hunstanton.
6. Flood Memorial
This lists the names of the 31 people who died in the east coast floods of 1953. 16 of the victims were resident American airforce men and their families. The deaths occurred in South Beach Road, Hunstanton to the south of the fairground. Location: Esplanade Gardens.
7. St Edmund's Chapel
The chapel, now in ruins, was erected in 1272 in memory of St Edmund who landed at Hunstanton in 855 to be crowned King of East Anglia. He led an army against Viking invaders but was defeated, captured and martyred. He became the first patron saint of England. Location: On the cliffs at St Edmund's Point.
8. St Edmund's Church
This was built in 1866 and is dedicated to Edmund, King of East Anglia (see above). The church contains nine windows depicting his life. Location: Church Street, Hunstanton.
9. St Mary's Church
Built in the 14th century in Old Hunstanton and restored in the 19th century, the church has a Norman font and a roof made from oaks grown on the nearby Le Strange estate. Of interest in the churchyard are the graves of the two customs officers, William Green and William Webb, murdered in the 18th century by smugglers. Location: Church Road, Old Hunstanton.
10. Town Hall
Built in 1896, the Hunstanton town council meets on the first floor, while the Tourist Information Centre occupies the ground floor. The hall at the rear hosts frequent antique & craft fairs, and other social events. Location: The Green, Hunstanton.
Hunstanton Heritage Plaques
If you would like to see even more sites of interest, you can follow the heritage trail marked by the Hunstanton Heritage Plaques. These are on buildings and other sites in Hunstanton and Old Hunstanton. The plaques, inscribed with the historical relevance of each site, were placed by Hunstanton Civic Society. A leaflet listing the sites and showing their locations is available from the Tourist Information Office.